Today marks the end of my 28 day healing cleanse. I’ve been doing a countdown, sharing a benefit each day from this healing journey. Benefit #1 is living a pain free life.
The above picture was taken on Halloween last year. The cane in the pic was not part of my tourist costume! It was a necessary aid for me to walk. Twenty years after a car accident damaged my neck, sternum, lower back and legs, twenty years in which I experienced pain every day, my condition deteriorated. I developed severe sciatica down my left leg, creating great pain and difficulty in walking. Six months later, after physical therapy, energy work and massage, I was able to walk without the cane except for early in the morning. I still had pain in my leg and had trouble straightening it out if it was bent for too long, but it was better.
However, when I recently began to experience sciatica down my right leg, I knew I had to shift something. I have things to do and places to go! The healing cleanse was my something to do. Following a simple, raw, plant based diet has put me on a healing path, and makes me feel like I have taken charge of my health and well being again. I’ve learned what foods to eat, which supplements to take, and what not to eat, to heal myself.
- Headaches disappeared, after the third day on the cleanse. I haven’t taken an ibuprofen for 25 days.
- Allergies are also gone. No sinus pain or pressure, no cough, no sniffles.
- Minor aches and pains are gone, along with stiffness in fingers.
- Muscle pain is gone throughout my body.
- My neck vertebrae are much better. I still have minor discomfort there but it continues to improve.
- No indigestion or acid reflux for 28 days.
- Restless legs syndrome has disappeared, except for the afternoon I accidently ingested sugar in a restaurant smoothie.
- I sleep well at night, without using sleep aids.
- I feel lighter, more fit, better than I have in 21 years.
- The pain in my right leg has cleared up completely.
- My left leg is much, MUCH improved. I have very little pain. The last three days I haven’t used the cane, even in the mornings. I can straighten out my leg more easily after it has been bent for a while.
- I can lift my left leg with out grabbing it with my right hand, to put my shoe on.
- I can walk for several hours with no pain and only minor stiffness.
- I can speed walk and climb stairs, without pain.
I am well on my way to living a pain free life. I am much further along on the healing path than I dreamed possible in such a short time. I feel incredibly healthy and I’m not willing to trade that in for the fleeting pleasure of eating pizza or ice cream or a Reuben sandwich.
So what now, after the cleanse? I will continue on this path. I will continue to avoid sugar, dairy and gluten, while consuming a plant based diet that broadens to include cooked veggies, brown rice, olive oil, nuts and legumes. My health is important enough to me to eat in a way that improves my well being, day by day. This is a lifestyle that I can embrace and enjoy.
I am doing this.
If you would like to know more about the healing cleanse or Anthony William, whose book Medical Medium inspired my journey, check out these resources: